Saturday, October 15, 2016

Wok Wednesdays: The Breath of a Wok | Uncle Sherman’s Home-Style Chicken and Vegetables





This week's recipe is chock full of vegetables. We have bok choy, mushrooms, broccoli, and cauliflower, though any vegetable can be used; preferably in season vegetables for best flavor.

Mise en place.

Bowl 1: Chicken, ginger, garlic, cornstarch, soy sauce, oil, salt
Bowl 2: Bean sauce
Bowl 3: Ginger, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower
Bowl 4: Bean sauce
Bowl 5: Water
Bowl 6: Bok choy, mushrooms
Bowl 7: Water
Bowl 8: Cornstarch, soy sauce, water


The bean sauce on its own is quite salty so I omitted the additional salt called for in the recipe. I should no better - Grace would not steer us wrong - the salt was needed in the end after all.

The flavor of this stir-fry is on the mild side, which would make for a great meal to expand a child's palate while introducing them to Asian cuisine.



We have been asked not to post the recipes on our blogs. Why don't you grab the book and join in on the fun, and become a Wok Wednesdays member. Everyone is welcome - bloggers and non-bloggers alike!






Wok Wednesdays is an online group of wok devotees that are cooking through Grace Young's The Breath of a Wok.




2 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos Cathy! I never actually tasted the bean sauce before adding it so I blindly added the salt, and I'm glad I did! I assembled the mis en place, but there was no mention of the water in the ingredient list, so I had to scramble mid stir-fry! Lol! I see you caught it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Under normal cooking circumstances, I too would have been scrambling, Karen! With stir-frying I highlight the ingredient and cook time in the instructions beforehand. :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.