Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Wok Wednesdays | Stir-Fried Baby Bok Choy with Sichuan Pepper and Salt

WW wokking through Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge
by Grace Young


 Such a simple and beautiful stir-fry.

 Baby bok choy.

Shanghai baby bok choy (source).

Shanghai baby bok choy is most commonly found in our grocery stores. It has smoother, lighter green leaves and pale green stalks. The bok choy I used, I found at my local Asian market.  Either variant will work in this stir-fry.

 Mise en place.

Bowl 1: Ginger
Bowl 2: Carrot
Bowl 3: Baby bok choy
Bowl 4: Salt, Sichuan peppercorn
Bowl 5: Chicken broth, dry sherry, cornstarch

This stir-fry takes all about three minutes (if that) to cook; stir-frying continues to amaze me.

The ginger slices are sautéed first, then the carrots are added and given a quick swirl around the wok. Next up is the bok choy, salt and peppercorns, these are stir-fried for about a minute before the broth is swirled in and the mixture briefly steamed, and I do mean briefly - for a whole thirty seconds! Then the vegetables are stir-fried for a short time more - just until the bok choy is crisp-tender. And there you have it!



I actually made this twice. The first time I found it too oily. I should have went with my instinct to not add the remaining oil at the time the bok choy went in. My wok still had a good sheen of oil going on at this point.

The second round, the wok started to look a bit dry shortly before the bok choy was ready, so I added a few sprinkles of oil (maybe a teaspoon?) at that time. Much better result for me.

This recipe can be found on page 189 of Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge.


 
We as a group have agreed not to post the recipes on our blogs. 

2 comments:

  1. Cathy, Great post. It's tricky with the oil. Some vegetables need the full 2 tablespoons. I agree that 1 tablespoon is too dry. Glad you adjusted to an amount that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bok choy looks fantastic! I ended up using all of the oil, and didn't find mine too oily, but maybe it was because I chopped and spun dry my bok choy on Monday, realized there were carrots in the recipe and I didn't have any. I wrapped it in paper towels and put it in a plastic bag, and stir fried it the next day after buying carrots. Sounds like a decent theory... lol! Great post as always!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.